To survive and thrive in this highly competitive business world, having an online presence is not enough.
In this mobile-obsessed world, people find it easier to browse the web from their smartphones than desktop computers. A recent survey conducted by Statista suggests that more than 52% of web traffic comes from mobile devices.
To provide mobile users with an excellent, smooth experience, more and more businesses are thinking of creating a mobile-friendly website to make it easier for mobile users to access their sites.
Regardless of the industry, you are operating in, it’s the right time to optimize your website for mobile users if you want to stay ahead of the curve.
If you are thinking of optimizing your website for mobile and wondering where to start, here are some effective strategies for creating a mobile-friendly website.
Create an Awesome Mobile Website Design
Keep in mind that mobile users are very goal-oriented; they want easy-to-use options and functionalities that make it easier for them to find what they need.
So, improve the mobile experience of your website and see how your website improves its rankings accordingly. If you don’t want to do this yourself, read here the list of interview questions to hire a web design specialist for this.
When it comes to creating an excellent mobile website design that offers a great UX and generates more conversions, you need to consider these design principles.
- Keep your CTAs visible to increase your chances of getting more conversions
- Make it easier for people to find a unique selling point.
- Create an easy-to-use and short navigation menu.
- Make the site search visible so that visitors can easily find what they need.
- You can add search filters to provide users with accurate results.
- Don’t frustrate visitors by showing popups.
- Choose the easiest ways for users to fill the signup form.
- Keep the lead form short, easy to read, and to the point.
- Include high-quality product images and video backgrounds.
By keeping these essential points in mind, you can quickly develop an aesthetically pleasing and functional mobile website design.
A professional web design agency can also help you create an effective design strategy for your mobile site and create a better and impressive UX design.
Focus on Your Page Speed
If your website loads fast on a laptop, it will load on phones and tablets at the same speed. Websites that load fast can get higher rankings on search engine pages and generate more leads.
How can your website appear on the top search result and get more conversions if your page takes forever to load?
It is important to reduce the mobile load time by following these simple steps:
- Improve your web server software or configuration
- Enhance the quality and scope of your web hosting service
- Minimize redirects to accelerate mobile page speed
- Carefully and repeatedly measure round-trip times
- Put JS at the bottom and CSS at the top of HTML files
- Use gzip compression to reduce the file size
Use Accelerated Mobile Pages
It is an intelligent strategy to optimize your web pages for mobile users as Google has officially integrated accelerated mobile pages into the mobile search algorithm. If your pages are not loading quickly, it will eventually make your users leave your website immediately. Here accelerated mobile pages (AMP) come into play.
AMP is an open-source initiative project that helps brands to create mobile sites which can load faster.
There are three important components of building accelerated mobile pages:
- AMP HTML -HTML custom tags command to create dynamic content tailored for mobile devices. It makes it easier to code common patterns.
- AMP Cache – It ensures every page works efficiently without any external source dependence. It fetches and caches all AMP HTML sites using a content delivery network to make some critical performance optimization.
Compress Images to Increase the Speed
Images are the essential elements of your mobile site that can quickly convey information. Make sure images on your mobile site are light, device-responsive, and easily accessible.
Optimizing your image’s file size is a sensible strategy to improve your site’s performance. One thing that you should keep in mind while optimizing your image that adjustments can reduce their quality. There are many intelligent ways to reduce the image’s file size without compromising on image quality.
Before you start optimizing your images, it is advised to choose the right file type.
- PNG is a good choice for posting high-quality images and large file sizes. This format works best for simple images with minimal colors and details. They look better without being too heavy.
- JPEG is the lossy image format that reduces the file size by eliminating some of the data in your image. It is a suitable image compression format that you can choose to reduce the file size without affecting its quality.
- You can use Adobe Photoshop to resize your images. Identify the size of your image that you want for your mobile site and use the photo editor to resize the image to the proper width and height.
- Another great option is to use an image resizer to resize your image before posting. There is a myriad variety of image resizer tools available that you can use to reduce the size of your images.
Since there are a lot of image optimization tools and programs available to choose from, here is a list of some excellent tools to optimize your images: Affinity Photo, Adobe Photoshop, Gimp, Paint.NET, GIFsicle, JPEGtran, JPEG Mini, OptiPNG, pngquant, FileOptimizer, ImageOptim, Triage, ImageResize.org
The majority of people worldwide are browsing on mobile devices and visiting the mobile version of websites. Therefore, Google has started using the mobile version of your website for indexing and ranking.
The ultimate goal of mobile-first indexing is to improve the search experience for mobile users by providing relevant information. It has become crucial for nearly every business to create a mobile version of their website that is easy to use and provides information pertinent to the users.
A brand with a mobile-first approach to content and design will gain higher rankings and generate more conversions from their organic traffic.
Use Free Tools to Make Sure Your Website is Mobile Friendly
Since mobile-friendliness has now become an important ranking factor if your website is not mobile-friendly, chances are your site will disappear from SERPs. If you are unsure whether your site is mobile-friendly, there are plenty of tools that enable you to analyze your site’s mobile-friendliness.
Here are some tools that you can use to check if your site is mobile-friendly or not.
Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test is a fantastic tool that will allow you to make sure your website is mobile-friendly. A green banner is a positive sign that your site has successfully passed the test. If not, Google will tell you the common reasons why your site is not mobile-friendly.
By simply entering your URL, you will get a detailed report on the status of your site. The tool will let you know about your mobile site’s speed and which pages need your immediate attention.
The tool provides you with technical details such as web standard errors, graphics, or HTTP issues that will help you address all these issues. This actionable tool also gives you suggestions on what needs to change and provides solutions to these problems.
It is another effective tool that marketers can use to check the mobile-friendliness of their website. It lets you know how your pages look on a mobile screen and give you a solid set of recommendations on making them look better.
You can check mobile speed, page redirects, Google access, mobile markup, mobile performance, and other essential details with this tool.
The tool allows you to view how your site looks on mobile devices. It gives you a clear picture of the responsiveness of your website and finds out how user-friendly your site is.
Get Mobile-Friendly Now!
Believe it or not, mobile optimization has become an integral factor in taking online businesses to a whole new level. If you haven’t optimized your site for mobile, now is the right time to make necessary tweaks to your site and optimize it for mobile devices.
The quicker you can optimize your site for mobile, the quicker Google can rank you higher on search engine result pages.
So, improve the mobile experience of your website and see how your website improves its rankings accordingly.
By following the strategies mentioned above, you can easily optimize your site for mobile searches that will eventually increase your chances of reaching a wider audience and getting maximum conversions.